Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Isn't life funny? (A.k.a. Andrea's plans, or lack thereof)

I was determined to graduate from high school, attend 2 years of college majoring in who knows what, and then serve a mission. After the mission, I was going to finally decide what to get a degree in, date someone for a year and get married at 23 years old in the Salt Lake Temple. Then I was going to finish college, have some kids, and just be a mom and wife in Utah.

Here's what really happened...I did go to college (BYUI). I was supposed to be out of here in 2 years and moved back home to finish my bachelors. Instead, I met the man I was going to marry at age 19. We got married in the Bountiful Temple when I was 20 and I finally decided what to major in when I was almost 21. I graduated in Early Childhood Education/Special Education at 22 years old and taught special ed preschool for five months before Allie came along. (I really wanted to be a kindergarten teacher and have nothing to do with all the special ed. paper work). Funny where the jobs lead...

I did what I swore I would never do (once I had kids) and finished teaching the school year. Thank goodness Cody was off of work for those 2 months to take care of Allie, or else I probably would have just resigned without finishing teaching. Teaching was a blessing. I am grateful for the experience I had teaching, but I am so grateful to be done for now and raising my baby.

I should have moved back to Utah 4 years ago and be living in a starter home raising a few kids by now. Instead, I am married to the love of my life, we have the best baby I could ever wish for, and we are still living in an apartment in Rexburg. We have since applied to 6 grad schools, and been invited to interview at 1. We are in the process of applying to 2 more and hopefully we will get more interview invites soon. :)

I think what I have learned the most is to totally rely on the Lord. He puts you where He wants you when He wants you there. Hence, I am still in Rexburg enduring the snow ;). Our temple was dedicated last Sunday, and I have the opportunity to see it everyday out my kitchen window and attend as frequently as I want. There's a reason for everything and I hope that I can just have the faith to press forward when I don't see that reason.

I thought I might put some future plans here just to see what really happens. I would like for Cody to attend grad school this fall, graduate in 4 years with a doctorate, move back to Utah, practice for a few years with a collegue and then open his own practice (in Marriage and Family Counseling). I woud like to have at least 3 more kids and live in a comfortable home in a nice neighborhood with a good school district. I would like to serve faithfully in the church and raise a righteous family. After my children are grown, I would like to continue teaching in an elementary school and eventually serve a mission with Cody. We'll just see what actually happens... :)

No comments: